History of Corinth Reformed Church
Among the first settlers in the vicinity of Hickory Tavern in the mid
nineteenth century were Adolphus L. Shuford and Henry W. Link,
loyal members of the German Reformed Church. In 1860, these
men sought the services of Dr. Jeremiah Ingold, pastor of the Grace
Charge, to begin Reformed worship services in their town.
During the warm months, Dr. Ingold led services in an outdoor
shelter. In the winter, he preached in the home of Henry Link (now
the 1859 Cafe). In 1868, Dr. Ingold established Hickory's first
school, the Free Academy. The Academy also became host to
Reformed worship services that year, because the outdoor stand
burned. The Academy also hosted worship services by many other
denominations, as well as entertainment shows.
Corinth in 1887
On May 22, 1869, twenty-two charter members
founded Corinth Reformed Church. Later they
built a church structure in what is now Robinson
Park, which served as their home from 1874 to
1887. A brick church at the corner of the present
Second Street and Trade Avenue NW was Corinth's meeting place
from 1888 to 1910. Under the leadership of Pastor Joseph Murphy,
the congregation built a larger facility on the corner of Second
Street and First Avenue, NW, where the church assembled from
1910 to 1959. The current Gothic structure on Sixteenth Avenue,
NW was built on land donated by Shuford Mills, and was completed
Corinth owns a proud heritage of strong community leadership,
musical excellence, mission and service initiative, and
denominational involvement. Five members of the church have
become ordained ministers: Dr. Walter W. Rowe, Dr. Robert V.
Moss, Jr. (who served as President of Lancaster Theological
Seminary and of the United Church of Christ), Dr. D. Lee
Jessup, Jr., Dr. Anne Abernethy Wepner, John Bigelow, and
Corinth Reformed Church
became Corinth Evangelical
and Reformed Church in 1934
when two national church
bodies merged which both had
German backgrounds. In 1957,
the United Church of Christ
came into being. In recent
years, Corinth has restored the name "Reformed" into its formal
name to reflect our GermanReformed heritage.
For more information about the heritage of Corinth, including our
connection to the Arts and Science Center and Patrick Beaver
library (we own the SALT block!) and how we came to have "Boy
Scout Troop 1," call, write, or visit the church office and ask for
the 125th Anniversary Booklet.
We also have available a 2009 booklet, "50th Anniversary of the Building," which relates stories about the construction and maintenance of our current facility, which opened in 1959. The booklet is available at no charge in various literature racks or from the church office.